Drywall is also famous under the name of plaster-board or gypsum board. It is a sheet of gypsum plaster pressed among two thick sheets of paper. This process has become popular worldwide for making interior walls and ceilings. The fact that the process requires less drying time and labor has made it a preferred choice for making home interiors looks beautiful and stylish. As far as its types are concerned, it is of many types.
Some of the major types of drywall services have been listed below:
This is one of the most common types of drywall used widely for home improvement and new home interiors. It is majorly sold in two sheets. These are 4’x8′ sheets or 4’x12′ sheets. You can choose the one that fits your home space best. 4’x12′ sheets are better than 4’x8′ sheets because these sheets reduce the number of joints and cut that need finishing. Moreover, it supports a number of widths including 1/4″, 3/8″, 1/2″, 5/8″ and 1/2″.
Moisture-Resistant (Green Board)
Moisture-resistant drywall is also famous under the name of Green Board because it involves a water-resistant green paper that is used outside the gypsum. It is well-suited for areas that remain wet most of the time such as kitchens, damp basements and bathrooms.
Another major type of drywall is fire-resistant that mainly supports width of 5/8″. It is made fire-resistant by addition of special fibers and various other fire-resistant materials. Some of its common uses include:
- For separating an attached garage from a living space.
- In attached condos and apartments.
To decrease the amount of noise entering or escaping a room or any other space, sound-proof walls are used. It offers a number of benefits like reduced tension for neighbors, etc. It is composed of gypsum plaster and thick sheets of paper. Thereafter, it is dried in a kiln.
In case of a paperless Drywall Repair near me, a sheet of fiberglass is used for the protection of the gypsum core. As far as its installation process is concerned, it is quite similar to that of the standard one. Outer materials used in its construction are different. The texture of fiberglass is rough. As a result, the drywall takes more time and plaster for finishing.
These are some of the common types of drywall services used widely these days. You can choose the one which suits you best in terms of your home style and budget.
To be able to properly install drywall, you will need the right tools and equipments to be used for a successful installation. There are several equipments that you will need to prepare beforehand so that you will not be having a hard time borrowing from friends or purchasing one when you already have started the installation. Lack of any drywall equipment will mean messy, time – consuming and unorganized job.
Tools and Equipment To Prepare:
- Drywall – The first and the most important material in the installation. Without this, how can you possibly install drywall? This is also called plasterboard or gypsum board. These are sheets or panels used for interior walls and ceilings.
- Hammer (Hatchet) – This is considered as the most significant tool for any job. While there are many different types of hammers and they have specific purposes, these hammers are specially designed for nailing drywall.
- Lift – This is a tool used when you need to reach heights like the ceiling. This is commonly used on hanging drywall especially on the ceiling.
- Nails and Screws – Their length should depend on the thickness of the sheets.
- Electric Screwdriver – An equipment used to fasten screws in the most convenient and effortless way.
- Utility Knife – This is used for cutting drywall.
- Taping Knife – Important tools for applying tape.
- Joint Knife -This is a 6 – inch joint knife used for applying mud over the wall
- Tape Measure – This should be a 30 – foot tape measure so that it can be an efficient tool in hanging drywall.